Choosing a certified public accounting firm for your business is no easy task. Houston CPA Doeren Mayhew, one of the nation’s top accounting firms, comments on five points covered in the Houston Chronicle’s post, “10 Things to Consider When Choosing an Accounting Firm.”
- Specializations – Look for an accountant with expertise in your industry. As the Chronicle points out, a CPA firm with little expertise in your industry and heavy experience in others is probably not the best choice for your business. Consider looking for firms with dedicated industry niches, such as those Doeren Mayhew has built. Our Houston CPAs and business advisors immerse themselves in our dedicated sectors, allowing us to help our clients navigate the challenges and capitalize on the opportunities specific to their industry. Specialties include manufacturing accounting, accounting for oil and gas, construction accounting and more.
- Advice Needs – Some accounting firms stick to the numbers job at hand while others offer more proactive advice for your business, so be sure to consider the level of interest you expect your Houston CPA or business advisor to provide. Promising insight, oversight and foresight for our business clients, Doeren Mayhew boasts a client satisfaction rating of nearly 90 percent in the area of proactive advice.
- Service Levels – The Chronicle also recommends reviewing a firm’s service offering to ensure it meets your needs. Top accounting firms such as Doeren Mayhew provide a wide array of CPA firm services. Whether your needs include saving on taxes, growing your business, looking for international tax services or selling a business, Doeren Mayhew’s Houston accountants and M&A advisors can help.
- Personnel Availability – If you expect to only hear from with your CPA once a year at tax time, availability may be insignificant for you. However, if you expect more interaction from trusted accountants and advisors, be sure to ask about availability and responsiveness. In our most recent Houston satisfaction survey, Doeren Mayhew clients were 100 percent satisfied with the level of availability of our staff.
- References – Other businesses are often a reliable source for answers to questions about your potential accounting firm. Doeren Mayhew not only offers client testimonials, but provides references for clients with businesses similar to the requesting prospective client.
For more information, contact a Houston CPA at Doeren Mayhew.